I haven’t posted one of these for a while, so I figured it was about time I did another one. They are mostly about the books, apart from the last one, so I hope you like them.
1) There is more than one platform for Wizarding trains at Kings Cross Station than for the Hogwarts Express on platform 9 ¾. Platform 7 ½ for example is for the Orient Express.
2) Arthur Weasley was supposed to die in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, but was replaced with Sirius.
3) The third smell Hermione recognizes in the Amortentia potion is Ron’s hair.
4) Dumbledore’s boggart is the corpse of his sister, Ariana.
5) Before taking the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts, Quirrell was the Muggle Studies teacher.
6) “Morsmordre”, the incantation to cast the Dark Mark, means “take a bite out of death”
7) Malfoy, the notoriously Pureblood family that has aligned itself with Voldemort, is derived from the French “mal foi”, meaning bad faith
8) The Elder Wand is the only known wand to contain hair from the Thestral, a beast that can only be seen by those who have witnessed death.
9) Bellatrix means “female warrior” in Latin.
10) In the Harry Potter universe, there are an estimated 3,000 wizards living in Great Britain.
11) Most of the Black family are named after stars. Sirius, for example, is named after the dog star.
12) The driver and conductor of the Knight Bus, Ernie and Stanley, are named after Rowling’s grandfathers.
13) Bill and Fleur’s first child Victoire means victory in French, and was born on anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts.
14) Hermione went back to Hogwarts after defeating Voledemort to complete her Newts. Harry and Ron didn’t bother.
15) Mr. Weasley fixed Sirius’s motorbike and gave it to Harry.
16) Harry ensured that a portrait of Professor Snape was hung in the Headmasters office. At first he wasn’t allowed one because everyone thought he was a bad guy; but Harry made sure that the world knew he was a hero.
17) Harry lost the ability to speak to snakes when the Horcrux inside him was destroyed.
18) Firenze was eventually welcomed back into the centaur herd.
19) Cho Chang married a Muggle.
20) Dolores Umbridge was sent to prison for crimes against Muggle-borns.
21) Harry and Ginny’s children stole the Marauder’s Map and snuck it into Hogwarts.
22) Harry, Ron, and Hermione became memorialized in Chocolate Frog cards.
23) JK Rowling invented the names for the Hogwarts houses and wrote them down on the first piece of paper she could find; an aeroplane sick bag.
24) Bloomsbury gave Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows code names, so no one would know what they were talking about, to stop it from being leaked.
25) Hayley Joel Osment almost got to play Harry. This was when Steven Spielberg almost got to direct the first film, but it is said that he clashed with JK Rowling. I don’t know, but it could be because JK Rowling has a strong belief that Harry Potter is a British book, and that Britain has tons of it’s own artistic talent without having to import it from Hollywood, apart from characters such as Fleur and Crum who were meant to be from other countries. While I think that there is plenty of talent around the world, I have to agree that keeping the Harry Potter world British was right, because why not show off the talent we have right here, especially when Harry Potter is set in Britain, with (mostly) British characters, and written by a British woman.
I hope you enjoyed reading these facts, and I look forward to posting some more.
“We do not remember days, we remember moments.” Cesare Pavesse.